Meta Tags?

liunx

Hi everyone,<br />Ok, I read that nowadays major search engines don't really putting much emphasis style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /><!--content-->
Keywords and description meta tags are the most important, or the style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /><!--content-->
<!--quoteo(post=1249:date=Oct 13 2006, 01:46 PM:name=Ben)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ben @ Oct 13 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]1249[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><br />YES!! - They are all important, but not all search engines value each tag/element the same.<br /><br />Google likes the Title, Description (not so much these days) tags, H1, H2 Tags but more importantly relies style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /><br /><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><br /><br />nope. google relies mostly style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /><!--content-->
<!--quoteo(post=1625:date=Oct 31 2006, 06:03 PM:name=Northern Star)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Northern Star @ Oct 31 2006, 06:03 PM) [snapback]1625[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><br />I've heard/read that Google doesn't use Meta tags anymore... anyone know if this is true?<br /><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><br /><br />No it is not true. Google doesn't rely on the keyword tag and is using the description tag partially. But it does index your site based on your title tag. As a matter of fact all search engines tend to ignore the keywords tag. But it's a good idea to have them all in place. You never know when the algorithms change again...<!--content-->
<!--quoteo(post=1510:date=Oct 23 2006, 04:56 AM:name=Eli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eli @ Oct 23 2006, 04:56 AM) [snapback]1510[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><br />...I think if you use alt tags that means search engines can also tell what the images are, because they can't see images.<br /><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><br /><br />Hm... I haven't noticed this sooner. You need alt tags to describe an image for the blind. Now, let's see... search engines are blind, cannot see images but their robots are able to read texts... So they will index the image based on the alt tag description. On a second thought: some internet users have visual imparities. They use software that converts the web code into braile. What I am trying to say: if you care about all the users, you'll have your alt tags in place, you'll never stuff them with keywords, but write a relevant description of the image. For example, you display a picture of you eating pasta. That is your description: picture of me, eating pasta. If your site is about SEO, but you display a picture of a sunset - to enhance your design - don't go on writing SEO picture. It makes no sense. Describe it correctly: spectacular sunset over the mountains... etc. It's web accessibility that requires alt tags. When you validate your markup, (W3C) you'll notice that the html validator requires alt tags to give you the green. But it doesn't tell you how you should write these tags for the blind. You'll need to go to the ADA website to learn more.<!--content-->
in simplest terms, all tags have their advantages if properly used and not abused with spamming.<!--content-->
Very important - use wisely. That's what I say.<!--content-->
My problem is that all my tags are on one file (header) on my site. I use php includes on every page for the browser to include! the header section. But because my meta tags and keywords are only on one file and not every page, does this affect the search engine indexing? Do the search engines render the pages or just read the files as they are?<!--content-->
It shouldnt do because both files will be included in the source code for that page<!--content-->