Management before server deal

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Does it make sense to get management before you order a dedicated server? ie give them oppertunity to 'choose' OS, controlpanel, hosting company, hardware and software - or at least say keep away from that. Would it, in the long run, make the server run that 5% extra, support being able to answer 6% faster, 7% percent more sure, tech-specs matching your projects 9% better...... Well. U get the point. It would be great if some in management would post their oppinion on this subject.It all depends on what experience you have, if this is a new application you're hosting then the management company will be just as puzzled as you as to what hardware to use, however if the application is already running on an existing server which you have access to, they will probably be able to advise what hardware you need based on current resource utilisation.As you're looking for more of an integrated hardware / software solution, why not look for a managed hosting company rather than buying the server and the management seperately?Danor you may interested in getting managed externally?this would help too- Sebastian.I am/was thinking of using a third party management.- its often cheaper- they shouldnt be bias @DanIts not new applications. If there is anything new, in regards to what I want to host, it would be the actual content, not the technology.Actually, this is, in part, why I'm wondering, if it would make sense.Does it make sense to get management before you order a dedicated server?
Yes. If you have no/little experience/interest and the management company will do ALL server management

No. If you like to 'learn' on the live server, you admin the server etc.