Is it possible to be agnostic and still remain affiliated to a religion?

hugs

what is your perception?<br />
valid reasons for yes/no please.<br />
<br />
thankyou!<br />
moretoo im not just asking randomly, i need to know this.<br />

MikeC

An agnostic would fit in well with the Unitarian Universalists, but not in most other churches.

Matthew

You could, but you'd be a fraud and a hypocrite if you remained affiliated to a religion when you were actually an agnostic.

Benji

Yes. In fact I have a friend who is atheist but enjoys the connection. However, it is one of the less puritanical and judgemental sects.

bassdoc

Yes, and you would fit in very well with more tolerant denominations like Episcopalians, Methodists and Unitarians - best luck.

Actually it is IMPERATIVE that you are agnostic if you are religious.

Some definitions...

Theism - belief in deities or divinities
Atheism - lack of belief in deities or divinities
Gnosticism - having special knowledge (related to the divine)
Agnosticism lacking special knowledge

There is a huge difference between the two concepts. You either believe or you don't. You either know or you don't.

If you are a gnostic theist, you are claiming to *know* that God exists, not just that you believe in God. This must mean you have some evidence, so please provide it to the rest of the world.

If you simply believe in God and do not claim special knowledge, you are an agnostic theist.

Please, please, please... do not confuse belief with knowledge. The two concepts are very, very different. You can believe with all your heart and not *know* there is a God.

Theist or atheist, agnosticism is a rational position.

Though I must admit, I am intrigued by the growing body of evidence that suggests that the idea of God was, in fact, invented by humans shortly after the Agricultural Revolution.

ThereisnoGod

Well I would say my first year in the Marine Corps I went to church often even though I didn't really believe in God, but I was trying so hard. So yeah, you can. However, if I were you, do what I have done, research all religions, read some good Atheist books, from there you will realize all the religion and god BS is false and you can truly make up your own mind through facts, rationalization, and common sense.

Haunted

most religions are not open to free thinking. as most claim they are right all others are wrong.

I go to a Unitarian Church they are very open to questioning and testing all religions and faiths.

I like it but to each there own.

Pedestal42

Yes.
It's quite possible not to be a formal believer, but value the ritual, ceremony, history, community, fellowship... which comes with religious behaviour.

A true believer might be uncomfortable with that idea, but people can be comforted by the familiar, the ancient and the communal independently of an actual belief in the words spoken.

Sometimes the *less* the words and rites are understood, the more powerful the effect is. This is where "tradition" can become the focus simply because it's tradition. Not the King James or the Latin Mass because it's theologically superior* but because it's older, more evocative.

*A genuine but different belief about the same objects, for some.
Two people next to each other at a service may be doing, and understanding, very different things.

Orangeaporange

Sure, you can "practice" a religion as an agnostic (and trust me there are many, many agnostics in churches, synagogs, mosques, shrines and temples in every religion). There are countries and families that FORCE you to when you are born to be affiliated with a church or religion whether or not you even believe in it and there are people who feel they are just born into a religion and practice it more as a habit or ritual than a belief. But the practice of these religions is in my opinion, completely meaningless in a religious sense.

Take for example, my husband's family (Japanese) who claim they are strictly agnostic, not interested in any religion and could care less about it, yet they religiously chant buddhist sutras for the dead over and over at funerals and strictly adhere to budhist tradions to pray for the dead and assist them in the afterlife. They put food on shinto alters and visit shrines and temples on holidays. Weddings, they have no problem with having a Christian ceremony, singing hymns and praying prayers that directly acknowledge Jesus Christ as Lord. I have come to learn that religion is often a part of our culture sometimes, whether we acknowdlege the meaning behind it or not.

cheir

The idea that one can be agnostic has no reality in Scripture. You either believe that God [as Jesus Christ] exists or you don?t. As Jesus said in Matthew 1230; ' ... he who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters.?

dubh_ghall

Yes.

An agnostic believes that we can never truly KNOW, if there is a god, or not.

That does not in any way prevent him having FAITH, that there is.

I would go so far as to suggest the agnostic's faith, is the only true faith.
All other claims to faith are based on assumed knowledge, and where you have knowledge, faith is unnecessary.

elwoodblues

You can be agnostic and a Buddhist. You can be agnostic and a Pagan. There are probably other spiritual belief systems that are compatible with being agnostic, but those are the only 2 I can think of right now.