Is it okay to substitute flossing if i got braces?

CarlosR

I just braces put on about 2 weeks ago , the next day my ortho went on vacation so i did not get a chance to ask him. I did go out and buy a waterpik ultra, their advertising said if you don't like to floss then this was the tool to use. Now is not that i don't like flossing it's that it now takes longer and it's kind of hard to do with these braces. Would you recommend this waterpik or one of those electric flossers that you just slide in ? please get back to me with any info , I will greatly appreciate it. Thanks.<br />

silar001

If you aren't going to floss, a water pik would be the next best thing...it's better than nothing! Just make sure you don't turn it onto the highest setting. Floss is the best thing to do, and you can buy super floss or floss threaders that will aid in the ease of flossing with braces.

GreenEyes

When I got my braces, my dentist gave me a bag full of these little plastic things that look like something you would sew with. Mine had a hole at the top and then a thin, pointed end and you would insert the floss through the hole and then "sew" the plastic thing through your braces and then floss. It was VERY tedious and took a long time, but you have to do it, or else your teeth will have stains and could have rotten spots on them when it's time to get your braces off.
I don't see how a waterpik could help because of your wires being in the way, unless I'm misunderstanding what you bought.
Also, the things that my dentist gave me to help with flossing, I know I have seen these in walmart. They're in a baggy and I think are green. Look for those!
Hope this helps! And good luck with your braces!