is being an internet marketer a waste of time

lomp

you only have so much time in a life to do what you'd like to do? is sitting at a computer sufficient for you? Why would you ask this? I for one would much rather spend an hour a day at a computer ANYWHERE in the world (at the beach as I type this!) than spend 40plus hours a week at a JOB. I don't get your question. I agree with Jenn.That's a silly question to ask on a forum like this one. Being an internet marketer is definitely worth it. Who wouldn't want to work from home and set their own schedule? Quote:
Mike McAleer;4936852 said:
you only have so much time in a life to do what you'd like to do? is sitting at a computer sufficient for you?[/QUOTE There is a lot of options.Someone choose to do Internet marketing. Depends on methods that the internet marketers applied. If the method is not right, it is a waste of time. From the late Steve Jobs: "Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure — these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart" The real question is, "am I wasting other people's time?" Great thread. thanks for making me think. Make money online is not wasting time, too much talking is wasting time. No it's not waste of time, I can afford things I couldn't get when I don't do this stuff I like most of all. Marian Well this is not what I wanted to read after I quit my job to start my own company. Let's turn this thread around.Any words of wisdom and/or encouragement for someone who just took the leap? Yes Internet Marketing is a waste of time, But only if you don't know how to enjoy your free time ;-) It all depends on what your doing with your time while sitting in front of the computer. I on the other hand would rather spend 10 hours of my time doing something that could possibly make me a living then chatting on facebook all day long. I think it is a matter of if your using the time wisely. Computers are big part of today's life and wont go anywhere anytime soon. So if your here or facebook you'll still be spending tons of time in front of the computer. How can we answer that? How do you value time? For a Buddhist monk; yes it's a waste of time. For someone wanting to make some money, no. Only YOU can answer if it's a waste of time or not based on your priorities. Ironically, this thread is a good bit of internet marketing just because the controversy will make people want to lecture you. Well done. It's most certainly worth it, and the earnings we rake in can be used to go to other (exotic) places. Hence we get around enough, and we can do it when we damn well please! HAIL IM! If you think its wasting time, then why are you here ? Aren't you wasting your time? :S You either do what you want to do cause it's fun or because it is helping you get what you want - So if IM is doing that it's not a waste of time. Do you know what you want? no i don't think so, because for being internet marketer, you don't have to be on computer all the time. You will not be here if it is. Everybody has to work. Is it a waste of ime compared to shoveling snow or cooking french fries? IM is a great job that basically rewards you for going around and being nice to people! And if you need help you just ask around and people will beat down your door to do it! It's really amazing. There are 3 ways to use time : WASTE IT - like playing too much computer games. SPENT IT - you gotta sleep; non-productive but resting is essential INVEST IT - learning something new - like IM It's not a waste of time to fight for freedom from the 9-to-5 job, to be financially independent, and to live life in my own terms. It's a waste of time to look up to a boss and get paid below your worth, only to lose your job due to circumstances beyond your control. Quote: Time hath my lord, a wallet at his backIn which he puts alms for oblivion. Troilus and Cressida: W. Shakespeare Think about it! What do we want to do with our time before we die? Life may seem to some to be pointless but I love being here, I love what I am doing - whether at my computer, at the theatre, acting, singing watching football, seeing movies, my wife, family, grandchildren - it's a question of pleasure and enjoyment. If you think internet marketing is a waste of time then for you it IS a waste of time. Yes ... it's a huge waste of time if you aren't building a business and either making money or working towards that goal. So what are you doing at the computer? Quote: Almost any office job is going to have you at a computer for 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, 2000 hours a year. If you're gonna be sitting in front of a computer anyways, why not do IM where you have unlimited income potential? Plus being able to set your own schedule (work 6am to 2pm for example) is always a plus. So.... yeah, I'll sit on a computer for that! Quote: Its not a waste of time. You have to learn the trade and design a mind map for yourself. Invest time and money and stay focused. Don't be discouraged if this is something you really want to do. Right now I'm on the rooftop of a hotel in downtown Irvine, California using my laptop and sipping on a nice, hot mug of coffee, while munching on mushroom spinach omellete. So hell yeah, I'd rather be on my computer at this moment. RoD Quote: Quote: I think what the OP is asking is if you'd be happy sitting in front of your home computer as your career. Besides income, there are things to consider. If you love being around people, then IM might not be the vocation for you. I get most of my social fill from forums. I have a few friends that could never work alone, and are constantly surrounded by people. If you believe that working from the computer equates to not contributing, you're likely to experience some dissonance there as well. I don't think it's a bad question. The answer is entirely dependent on your preferences and personality. If IM doesn't fit your life, then there's lots of ways to make money. For me, IM is a dream come true. Currently, I work as a farm manager. I'm constantly concerned about the weather. On the side, I ship physical products. I can't stand going to the post office. No more worry about the weather and no more shipping physical products? I'm on board for that. The thing is a lot of people would have to be sitting in front of a computer 8+ hours/day, 5 days/week anyway if they worked a J.O.B. So, you have to ask yourself do you want to sit in front of a computer making someone else richer, or do you want to put in that time for your own business. I know what my choice would be. Even sitting at a computer is working depending of course that you distinguish between just surfing and entertainment as opposed to working to making money. Some of the downsides of sitting at a computer are weight gain, cramps, aches, and pains from poor posture, and in my case the brain going to sleep because I was sitting on it. Being an internet marketer is not a waste of time if you treat it as a business and are willing to learn the business much like you might buy a sub sandwich shop and have to learn how to order, how to make the sandwiches, the administrative tasks and so on. I think where people make a major mistake is buying into the "work in your underwear 1 minute a day and make a bazillion dollars overnight while sipping margaritas on a beach in Mexico" lie. Or some far fetched fairy tale like that. There are good business ways to do this business while providing value and quality. As in any other business, there will always be those who are only in it for the buck but eventually they lose. I can't speak for anyone else but for me this has been a great way to make a living. Quote: Quote: Real internet marketers are having the time of their lives I myself just came from a wonderful event in Arizona that's because of internet marketing (mobile marketing in particular). But if you are referring to people just beginning and still strugglingthey might not be internet marketers yet but still on the road to getting there. For them it's not a waste of time either but necessary "tuition" to a life of adventure! Quote: It's not whether or not it's a waste of time - Nothing is a waste a time - What you do with a time could be a waste though. As people have mentioned, spending FAR too long on here posting etc is not going to make you a lot but spending hours working on sites or whatever your thing is won't be a waste of time at all. Quote: Quote: Are you really wondering this 2,200+ posts later? Internet marketing, along with any other niche, can give you the stability to work for yourself or have others work for you. My ultimate goal was always not having to ever work for anyone else. I'm not sure what your goals were but if you aren't reaching them then try harder and find out what you're doing wrong. But no, marketing isn't for everyone so it may not be worth your time, but it is a full-time living for many of us. Personally, I don't think anything someone does to feed their family (as long as it's legal) is a waste of time. Even if you're making hamburgers at least you're providing for yourself and your family. If you hate what you're doing; then find something else to do. Take classes or learn a new skill until you can make the change to doing something you enjoy more or feels more worthwhile. No one's going to do it for you. The main thing is: Don't go through life in a daze doing the same things out of sheer habit. Take action and make changes as needed. I think you have to love computers, the internet, marketing, writing, Ebay or whatever part of IM rings your chimes. No matter what area you focus on, it is a lot of work. If you don't love it, you will get burned out before you make decent money. Your question totally depends on your situation !! If you are just making plans and arent working on it then YES it's a waste of time... On the other hand if you are raking some good money then You will never say its a waste of time Throughout the course of an adult's life, it is safe to say that a person should pick up a profession that provides him/her with some type of income. You need to pay rent, save money for the future, pay off your car, etc... Internet marketing is a profession for many of us. We work to make a living. So is it a waste of time? No it is a necessity. What you do with the rest of your time on this earth is up to you. I wonder how much time you spent/wasted writing those 2,223 posts on this forum alone... ;-) Anyway, everyone has different goals, and everyone defines "waste of time" differently. I bet, that relatives and parents of many successful IM'ers, but even non-IM'ers considered the time their kids spent pursuing their passion to be a waste of time. Quote: I will setup my business automatically and hire people to run it, then I can go around the world...lol