How to Separate Forums?

imno007

I know this is probably a pretty dumb question, but I'm new to vBulletin so please go easy on me. I just want to know how you get forums to display separately - as in one forum with its subforums in one spot, a second forum with its subforums displayed separately below that, a third with its subforums separate below that.... In other words, I want to be able to create categories like you can with smf. All the forums I'm creating with vbulletin run together. Is this something you have to edit templates to be able to do with vb?

I did find this post here: http://www.vbteam.info/how/15224-how-introduce-space-between-2-categories.html

which I guess means that unfortunately you DO have to edit the templates, but the template I'm using doesn't have that same code in FORUMHOME so I'm not sure what exactly I should be messing with. I don't suppose there's a mod that automates this?

blackknights

If you wish for a section to acted as a category use these settings

Posting Options
Act as Forum (Will act as category if no)
Yes No

Forum is Active (Will not appear if set to no, but remains accessible if the forum's URL is known)
Yes No

Forum is Open (Set this to 'No' to prevent any new posts being made in this forum)
Yes No

Index New Posts in Search Engine (Setting this to 'No' will prevent anyone from being able to search in this forum)
Yes

And then any sub forums need to have that one as its parent forum
for further help suggest the how 2 section

Gunner

you create your main forum #1 then when you see it in the forum manager you click the drop down and pick "Add Child Forum"

When you want to create Main Forum #2 you "Add New Forum" Put your title/details in and click "NO" when you see: "Act as Forum" (Will act as category if no)

You now have Forum
(category) #1 welcome area/whatever it's called...
Child Forum (sub forum under it)

(category) #2 Whatever this one is called:.....
Child Forum 1
Child Forum 2 and so on...

PLEASE NOTE:
This should have been in the How To section :)

Gunner

LMAO, WTF??? Sorry for the double post.... I created this post seconds after imno007 posted and it didn't come up until now AND doubled?....

Ghost in my Machine maybe? ;)

imno007

Okay, I got it - thank you both VERY much for the quick replies! It was that simple little option I was missing under Posting Options. I wasn't clicking 'no' to make the forum act as a category. I'm just so use to smf: their way of creating categories is, to my mind, much more intuitive, but of course now that I know where to look vbulletin's way is pretty simply too.

Thanks again, you staved off a growing frustration. :)

blackknights

Ah np vb has a lot of nice features if coming from another software option can be intimidating at first and we all learning to some point

Gunner

so true blacknights, I went from 3 years using phpbb 2 then they released 3 and I couldn't use it, I moved onto SMF and it was so easy, even installing modules is childs play then I found vBulletin and fell in love :D lol

Not as easy as SMF but far more rewarding.