How do I set up an ubuntu web server?

tiburon4230

So I want to host a website that I created, I have heard that ubuntu is a great OS to use so I have decided to us it. I am a newbie when it comes to setting up a server but I feel I can learn a lot as I go. Installing the OS shouldn't be hard, I mean you put the CD in and let it do its magic. The problem I feel I will have is setting up the actual server. I want to run phpBB (forum site) I know ill need PHP, and MySQL, and probably Apache. How do i go about setting this all up? also how to I get my site linked to my domain name so people can go to the site. is there any tutorial that anyone can suggest to help me with this installation. I am using the the latest ubuntu server edition I believe is it version 8. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Pete

Never done it myself...and I can tell you why...

You should call your ISP before you even think about doing this. Mine said that I could face some serious penalty charges and even get locked out of my internet if I host a website without buying a proper package through them. The package was a bit more expensive that it cost me to simply outsource it through a hosting company, so that's what I ended up doing...much easier and cheaper than trying to do it myself, even though you will find all kinds of people here (who have not done it) telling you to just host it out of your basement.

Trust me when I say "Talk to your ISP first".