Hosting on FIOS

webmasterbeta

Anyone hosting from home/work on the Verizon/FIOS network. The published bandwidth is amazing but not sure its realistic for hosting services??You may want to check the TOS/AUP. I would think that hosting on FIOS is not allowed.You may want to check the TOS/AUP. I would think that hosting on FIOS is not allowed. Really? Why would they care as long as its not adult content.Because the TOS/AUP governs what you can use the connection for. If you violate the TOS/AUP, they will likely terminate your service.They may have plans that allow for hosting; you could contact their sales department.The FIOS service is designed for broadband access. It is not for people hosting or using the bandwidth in a commercial/wholesale manner. Generally the telcos call this DIA, Dedicated Internet Access, and you will pay at least $100/Mbps.Anyone hosting from home/work on the Verizon/FIOS network. The published bandwidth is amazing but not sure its realistic for hosting services??

You'll need to pay extra for a business plan to do this [and also get a static IP]. I personally do use this for personal stuff. It works fine. I wouldn't use it for anything critical, however. With that said I've had 100% uptime on the fios in the past year.What the say is true. FIOS is designed for home use, not business use. Using their services for business (I would assume) would get your account terminated rather quickly. If you are looking to use their services for commercial use, you'll find the pricing margin rise rather quickly.

My old ISP (it wasn't FIOS but it was damn fast) had some type of scanners running, and they would take down people hosting public web servers in a heartbeat. I actually called them up to inquire about it because I was interested in setting up a web server in my home for perks.Verizon FIOS blocked port 80, and 443, and probably 25 too most ISP blocked these port for home users.refer to this :http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/12566Nice post liandra. Useful information.Verizon FIOS blocked port 80, and 443, and probably 25 too most ISP blocked these port for home users.refer to this :http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/12566They do not block 25. And again, if you opt for a business plan w/ a static IP, there is nothing blocked.Not considering for business purposes, more personal hobbyist reasons. From a Verizon standpoint though it appears that distinction doesn't matter.They do not block 25. And again, if you opt for a business plan w/ a static IP, there is nothing blocked.

This seems to be dependant upon what market the install was done in. I've seen a few residential customers in Texas where everything (listed above) is in fact blocked. You even have to use the Verizon SMTP servers for outbound e-mail service, regardless of the e-mail address.

In Tampa, nothing is blocked on the residential side, but I am sure that will change soon enough.

SiriusI personally called FIOS tech support and told them that I have the 15mbps down/2mbps up and wanted to have static IPs so I can host my own servers at home. They told me for $50 extra bucks a month they will upgrade my upstream to 5mbps and give me 6 static IPs ($3 bucks for a pack of 6 ips) so for $100 a month I would get faster upload speed than a bonded T1 line (2X 1.5) and its all on fiber ;).I am now considering DS3 from Speakeasy so I can host my own 42Us rack for Gaming servers (DS3 ~44mbps)upstream to 5mbps That is what you are capable of. Its not guaranteed speed.bonded T1 line (2X 1.5) )But that guaranteed speed, unlike the fios?actually I get around 4.7 mbps when I test my speed on speakeasy.net/speedtest/ (my location is downtown Washington D.C.) but like I said Im trying to get DS3 here (easy since its downtown D.C.) :) I guess running 42 servers on a DS3 connection isn't bad since most of the servers are not going to be full at all times :)That is what you are capable of. Its not guaranteed speed.But that guaranteed speed, unlike the fios?FWIW, I have not had a single occurrence in which my speed has dropped on FiOS in the past 12 months.Sadly, I do not have access to Verizon FIOS where I am living currently (Ashburn, VA), although they have plans to roll it out within the next year. Oh how I miss my 30mbit down/2mbit upload (and never went below 25/1.5 respectively) back in New Jersey w/ Optimum Online aka Cablevision.Sadly, I do not have access to Verizon FIOS where I am living currently (Ashburn, VA), although they have plans to roll it out within the next year.

Oh how I miss my 30mbit down/2mbit upload (and never went below 25/1.5 respectively) back in New Jersey w/ Optimum Online aka Cablevision.
I used to have OOL and I agree it was great service, right up there next to FiOS.I used to have OOL and I agree it was great service, right up there next to FiOS. It definitely was! My family actually had Verizon DSL on order (and it was on it's way) when my dad suddenly decided just to get the free cable modem with the OOL signup plan. Never looked at DSL or dialup again.Yep here is an actual screenshot if my speedtest.<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bestgamingservers.com/personalpictures/speedtestfiosstatic.jpgactually">http://www.bestgamingservers.com/person ... pgactually</a><!-- m --> I get around 4.7 mbps when I test my speed on speakeasy.net/speedtest/ (my location is downtown Washington D.C.) but like I said Im trying to get DS3 here (easy since its downtown D.C.) :) I guess running 42 servers on a DS3 connection isn't bad since most of the servers are not going to be full at all times :)

Do you know how much cooling 42 servers will require? I doubt it. If you are putting dual xeon boxes up they will pull about 2 amps each, which is roughly 10kW. In order to effectively cool that, you will need about 3 tons of cooling + associated chillers / chilled or condensed water loop. If you want to get a DS3 delivered to a residential area, your power is probably limited to 120/208v single phase, as well. So plan on getting your electrical service upgraded to 480v 3 phase so you can get the most efficient crac units. And then don't forget monthly maintenance for your CRAC units.

Just to put into perspective, 10kW is roughly 36000 BTUs. Your servers would put off the same amount of heat into the room as a typical propane grill.