google indexing 1000s of my pages all with one description!

MrsPitney

HiA newbie here, awesome forum!My own forum has over 15000 entries in google, and increasing. But the problem is, google uses one identical description for all those pages, except 4 or 5 only. Google takes that desc. from a js forum news bar that's located at top of all forum pages. How can I make google use different desc. specific to each page?My forum is at:http://forums.gawaher.comHave a look at my google entries here:http://www2.google.com/search?q=site:fo ... 8&filter=0My forum was recently moved to a new URL. I've placed a 301 perminant redirect at the old folder.Before the move, I was enjoying +30000 entries in google, with diferent desc. specific to each page. But no more now after I moved to new URL.What did I do wrong? or...what can I do to correct this?I have some dynamic sitemaps generators, each less that 80k each (they dont spider over 80k, right?) but google dont seem to get my links from there. All links in the sitemaps has a one line description each.Any help would be much appreciated.Thanks in advance.The reason they are all the same is due to your query. Google places dynamic descriptions throughout their search engine. What it actually does is when someone queries something in Google it will try to find the part of your page that matches their query and will display that area for the description. For example check out this query:http://www2.google.com/search?hl=en&lr= ... gle+SearchI searched on your domain for the word help. Notice how the descriptions are different now?Google actually has your entire pages stored into a cache so that when someone searches only the relevent parts of your page to that query will show up for the description. Hope that makes sense.Better example might be if you search Google for the terms "embrace islam" the site comes up number 2 without thousands of the forum pages being returned, thank God/Alathanks for the explaination.So how can one knows how many pages, or entries, google indexed?Is there a better query to know that figure?An easy way is like this:Quote:pompei's right, although check at the bottom of the first page of results to "include all ommitted results" or something like that. On a straight allinurl:, it doesn' actually include all of them thats super! very handy indeed, thanks so much. Never heard of the 'allinurl' before. It can also used to tell how many pages in a specific sub or directory are indexed!There is a lot that I can learn from this fantastic forum with such wonderful well informed helpers! Thanks a mollion!Another useful URl for Google is:site:your-domain.com -asddasfThat will often - though not always - remove instances where the URL appears on other sites (for example, such as national domain names sharing that URL).wow, thats realy great!So what's your secret guys? how come you know that much, are these fabulous info available somewhere? I'd like to learn ...I usually use something like this to see how many pages I have listd in Google:Code: [ Select ]