Considering managed hosting - could use some advice

wxdqz

ok - so currently i am on a shared server - today my site got dugg and obviously the server is down now... so someone mentioned that maybe i should look into managed hosting (i really dont want to be a sys admin) what should i be looking for? i am trying to go for as little cost as possible but plan to host some mp3 podcasts as well. any advice? 1and1 is showing a server for $149 a month thanks!What are your requirements?Do you need linux or windows?Do you need a database like MS SQL or MySQL?That 1and1 dedicated server is most definitely not what I would consider a fully managed solution. You'll be the one tugging the line on that box. When choosing a managed hosting service, make sure they have experience in your required platform and that they carry industry standard certifications. Make sure you hold ultimate say and control over decisions. Choose a host that is willing to work with your specific requirements, not a host that only gets you half way to the finish line. It sounds to me like you're looking for a 100% hands off managed dedicated server. Now you could couple an inexpensive dedicated server with a well know management service, but then required to manage two vendors instead of just one. I personally think its best to do you homework, get references from other managed clients, find out about their experience with that particular host, and deal with the company that is most flexible. I wish you luck. If you have specific questions regarding Managed Hosting I'd be happy to help you try and sort out the best solution without pointing you towards a particular vendor.ok - so currently i am on a shared server - today my site got dugg and obviously the server is down now... so someone mentioned that maybe i should look into managed hosting (i really dont want to be a sys admin) what should i be looking for? i am trying to go for as little cost as possible but plan to host some mp3 podcasts as well. any advice? 1and1 is showing a server for $149 a month thanks! I've never had a server with them but I did have shared hosting. The techs you talk get to talk to and who answer your emails know little to nothing and you have to resubmit tickets multiple times to get someone with a little no how to fix your problems when they arise. Just my two cents....I'm in the same boat, need managed hosting as my reseller shared hosting is going down too often.

What is the difference between dedicated and managed?In dedicated hosting, you have a server, power, pipe, and ping. In managed hosting you have the above, and the company takes care of many services for you, such as system patching, maintenance, and tech support.Hope this helps.