Can someone explain what this says?

canelo_0621

This is part of an aricle on the "Fountains of the Four Rivers" by Gianlorenzo Bernini<br />
<br />
Earlier Bernini fountains had been the Fountain of the Triton in Piazza Barberini, the fountain of the Moor in the southern end of Piazza Navona erected during the Barberini papacy, and the Neptune and Triton for Villa Montalto, whose statuary now resides at Victoria and Albert Museum in London. This fountain means to depict allegories for the four great rivers in the four continents recognized by the Renaissance geographers the Nile in Africa, Ganges in Asia, Danube in Europe, and Río de la Plata in America. Each has animals and plants that further carry forth the identification. Each has a river god, semi-prostrate, in awe of the central tower, epitomized by the slender Egyptian obelisk (built for the Roman Serapeum in AD 81), symbolizing by Papal power surmounted by the Pamphilij symbol (dove). In addition, the fountain is a theater in the round, a spectacle of action, that can be strolled around. <br />
<br />
I'm restating it because she didnt explain a specific sentance that I didnt get.<br />

JohnCamus

It says Bernini built fountains and this one was one hell of a fountain.

I hope this helps, I am sure if you take it slowly, one word at a time it will become clear to you. If you still have a problem you can come back.

Patrolio

It talks of the sculpture of Gian Lorenzo Bernini. In particular the Fountain of the Four Rivers (Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi) in the Piazza Navona in Rome.

The fountain has four river gods each representing a great river in the four continents as known to geographers at the time (the Nile in Africa, Ganges in Asia, Danube in Europe, and Río de la Plata in America). The four gods surround a central pillar which represents the power of the pope and the catholic church. The fountain is circular and designed to be walked around to take in the different views.