Boating - Cut tow rope?

KOTS

I was out on the lake this weekend with my boat and the following happened<br />
I came to a narrow channel where multiple boats where sitting. When passing by I got as far away as I could without moving to the other side of the lake into the oncoming traffic. I passed a boat with a bunch of people sitting inside with no flag out indicating anything in the water. As I went by I apparently ran over the guy's ski rope that he had laying in the water. He later pulls up to me asking what my problem is and saying I cut his rope. Who do you think is at fault here? I would have been upset to but from what I understand you should not be pulling skiers in narrow channels with lots of traffic and if you are you should not just leave your rope laying out in the water while you sit on the boat and talk. Also, in our state if you have something in the water you are supposed to have an orange flag out indicating that. Thanks for the feedback.<br />

Bardic

Well, I'm in the UK and we don't have the orange flag protocol. We do, however, have common sense enough not to leave a rope trailing in the water unnecessarily. That's plain common sense and certainly basic seamanship. Around here, if you were stupid enough to do that you would soon be receiving a visit from an irate boat user demanding compensation for any damage to his prop.

WetnWild

Did the other operator have anyone in the water or a tube tied to the tow line? The tow rope should not be over 75 feet and anyone in the water close to the boat would show you that they where skiing or tubing.

If he was just sitting with no one in the water he should have pulled his tow rope in too.

boogie_4wheel

You are not at fault, even though you cut his line.

He should have pulled the rope if not in use, or he could have said (signaled) something as you were approaching.

Forget about it. Should have just told him to tie a knot in it and shut up about it.

I almost ran over some guy's snow skis once in a parking lot. He was getting out of his vehicle as I was getting in. I had already seen that nothing was behind my truck when I approached it. So I fire up truck, take my snow pants off and change my shoes and climb in, all while the dude on the passenger side of my truck was getting ready to hit the mtn. He had dropped his skis behind my truck (like he couldn't hear it running?!)... So I start backing up and he freaks. Well jackass, move your stuff...
Maybe I'm just an ars, but I wouldn't have bought him new skis, just as I feel that you don't have to worry about dude's ski rope.

HavocSquad

First, how narrow is this channel? If it is less than 3/4 miles wide, there should be no reason why someone would be towing there in HIGH boater traffic.

Second, how far were you away from the boat when you passed it? 50 meters is not enough, give at least 50 to 100 meters space. (100 to 175 feet).

As for the rope issue, that is most likely your responsibility for approaching the boat too closely. Unless the boat operator left the rope at a high angle to the boat and failed to straighten it out.

This is one of those instances where being the skipper/owner of the vessel has its drawbacks. Things get damaged, debris collisions happen, people get hurt, etc. Be prepared to answer for your actions should something bad happen, because you are responsible for life and limb of all on board the vessel.

BRYANM

By any reasoning a boat should only have a line out if it is there for a purpose. For example towing, trolling or trailing warps to reduce speed in a gale. "I didn't bother pulling it in" or "you should have guessed it was there" are not good reasons. If he was about to tow someone I would expect his actions would have made that clear. If he was going about to pick up someone that would also be clear. If he was stationary and had just left the line out then not only is his loss his fault but his action is bad seamanship. To quote the Pogues "don't waste your time in forgiving The ones who just don't know how to behave"

Placida

In canada I have never heard of this orange or any colored marker for rope or the like in the water, however divers need to display a signal that is specified and must be used. If this was a narrow channel, there was no tube, or floating device or knee board etc. connected to the rope and no skier in the water and all were just sitting in the boat having a talk, I'd say the whole thing amounts to him losing a tow rope. Any turkey would roll it in when not in use, we do. Don't pay for it unless you find out the guy is in the Mafia. - rick

jtexas

hold on...If you passed between the boat and a skier, you might've narrowly escaped responsibility for a serious injury, but it sounds like you're saying the rope was just left out randomly floating in the water?

That guy's a jerk, and if his rope caused damage to your equipment then it's his responsibility to pay for it.

Take your prop off & make sure there's no strands wrapped around your propshaft -- that'll destroy the gearbox seal and it's a real hassle to change.

45cal

As long as you were 100' away from his boat>And no wake>If a diver down flag is present> He should not of had his rope in the water with out some 1 on the end or pulled it in>

G

Better that he talked to you than me. I do not suffer fools.

Regards,
Dan