Any one with 1and1 Root or Managed hosting?

webmasterbeta

Hi Anyone used 1and1.com manage or root hosting? their prices are very attractive. Any advise. thanksthere are many stories around of forced plan upgrades, double billing, hard to cancel, etc.

get the picture?Look like most of the hosting companies have a story behind them.

Who I should I go with then??? Any recommendation?I think you have to tell us more about your hardware-wishes, your budget, managed or root, etcI have worked with 1and1 root servers on behalf of one of our customers for the last few months. I have not had an issue with hardware (with 3 servers), and tech support responsiveness and knowledge has been acceptable.i used it for root server and i have had almost no problems i had one issue with my invoice where i signed up for the simpleSEO service and i didnt have to pay for it untill 2 weeks later when it randomly showed up?Well, I am planning to run a MP3 Files download site. I am expecting over 1000 hits per day (atleast for now) any recommedation?

Regards to 1and1 root server/
what kind of support you get from them? what is you need a tomcat or something need to be installed? I know I have full access but i am not a pro in linux.

Currently I have a VPS server and its 100% managed.
what kind of control pannedl the 1and1.com root server comes with?Well, I am planning to run a MP3 Files download site. I am expecting over 1000 hits per day (atleast for now) any recommedation?Regards to 1and1 root server/what kind of support you get from them? what is you need a tomcat or something need to be installed? I know I have full access but i am not a pro in linux.Currently I have a VPS server and its 100% managed.what kind of control pannedl the 1and1.com root server comes with?This is 1and1 in a nutshell.Harware 10/10Network 10/10Support 1/10 (you will get some kind of a reply 4 days after your email).You will absolutely get NO SUPPORT from them.The bottom line is, if you can manage the server by your own OR buy a 3rd party server management, 1and1 is awesome. They give lots of free features that other hosts charge $100s.Regarding installation of TOMCAT, these are the option you will see while Reloading OS.- Suse Minimal- Debian Minimal- Fedora Core 4 Minimal- Fedora Core 4 + PleskSo you can see on which operating system do you want to run TOMCAT. But you should know that their plesk license DOES NOT come with tomcat support. So you might want to just install minimal and use Tomcat.1and1 comes with PLESK control panel for free.But if you are talking about control panel to manage billing and stuff, they are second to only Softlayer in my opinion.You can do everything from reload OS, manage passwords, remote reboot server to configure your firewall in their control panel.Basically anything and everything you can imagine. Its really a shame their support sucks. But I guess that why their server are cheap.MY SUGGESTION: Go with them, order server management from seeks admin.BEWARE: If you ever plan on cancelling the server, make sure you go to cancel.1and1.com for a smooth cancellation, they will also give you a REFUND for the rest of the month if you cancel the server in between.And one more thing, DO NOT sign up for their 24 month contract, just pay the $99 setup fee, its worth it, trust me :).Great, I am not planning to run a hosting service.
so I do not need their billing systems
basically run few joomla based sites.

what about backing up the server? i think they only give you 30 pleask control pannel right?

when its comes to Linux, i am really new.
at the same time I dont' want to go to managed server, cos there is lot of limitation.

any suggestions?

This is 1and1 in a nutshell.

Harware 10/10
Network 10/10
Support 1/10 (you will get some kind of a reply 4 days after your email).

You will absolutely get NO SUPPORT from them.

The bottom line is, if you can manage the server by your own OR buy a 3rd party server management, 1and1 is awesome. They give lots of free features that other hosts charge $100s.

Regarding installation of TOMCAT, these are the option you will see while Reloading OS.

- Suse Minimal
- Debian Minimal
- Fedora Core 4 Minimal
- Fedora Core 4 + Plesk

So you can see on which operating system do you want to run TOMCAT. But you should know that their plesk license DOES NOT come with tomcat support. So you might want to just install minimal and use Tomcat.

1and1 comes with PLESK control panel for free.

But if you are talking about control panel to manage billing and stuff, they are second to only Softlayer in my opinion.

You can do everything from reload OS, manage passwords, remote reboot server to configure your firewall in their control panel.

Basically anything and everything you can imagine. Its really a shame their support sucks. But I guess that why their server are cheap.

MY SUGGESTION: Go with them, order server management from seeks admin.

BEWARE: If you ever plan on cancelling the server, make sure you go to cancel.1and1.com for a smooth cancellation, they will also give you a REFUND for the rest of the month if you cancel the server in between.

And one more thing, DO NOT sign up for their 24 month contract, just pay the $99 setup fee, its worth it, trust me :).DO NOT ever go with their managed server, its NOT worth it.When I meant billing system, its for YOU, that how they will bill you. They will send you an invoice every month. You see what I mean.The back up server will give the FULL space that your HD has, so if your HD 160gb then you will get 160gb back up space. The login details are in your 1and1 control panel. The backup protocol is FTP.You can only backup from your root server and not from outside 1and1's network.No, its a 100 domain PLESK license.I would suggest you get root server and buy management from seeksadmin at <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.seeksadmin.com">www.seeksadmin.com</a><!-- w -->